Delivering Specialized Care to Inpatients at HCA Virginia
Just as a cardiologist is a physician who specializes in treating heart patients, a hospitalist is a physician who specializes in caring for patients in the hospital. Primary care physicians traditionally have had to balance their time between seeing patients in the office and in the hospital, often visiting their inpatients before or after office hours. Today, HCA Virginia hospitals utilize hospitalists to oversee patient care in the hospital, working in close communication with primary care physicians.
HCA Virginia offers hospitalist services for adults at all of our hospitals. If your primary care physician chooses to use hospitalist care, our team of hospitalists will manage and direct your treatment while you're hospitalized, providing you with round-the-clock continuity of care from admission through discharge. Our goal is to provide quality care and customer service to our patients, families and referring physicians.
Partnering With Your Primary Care Physician
Your primary care physician still plays an important role in caring for you while you're hospitalized and will receive regular updates from the hospitalist regarding your plan of care and progress.
Even if you're admitted to the hospital through the emergency room, a hospitalist will notify your physician and discuss your condition and status. And if you need specialized care while you're hospitalized, our hospitalist team will coordinate your care with the appropriate specialists. When you're discharged, the team will transition your medical care back to your physician, providing detailed reports from your visit, lab results, images and follow-up care recommendations to ensure you have the best outcome possible.
Our hospitalists are your advocates_ensuring you receive timely, effective care from all the specialists who may need to consult on your care.
How You Benefit
- Our hospitalists are physicians with special training in family, internal, pulmonary and critical care medicine, providing the highest level of inpatient care.
- As key members of HCA Virginia's team, hospitalists have detailed knowledge of specialists and procedures that lead to improved patient results.
- Our physicians are compassionate and knowledgeable when it comes to answering questions and explaining inpatient details such as discharge procedures to patients and their families.
- Our experience and sole focus on caring for inpatients leads to faster, more accurate clinical decisions made with a high degree of confidence. This results in better outcomes, shorter hospital stays and fewer readmissions.
At our Pediatric Centers at Chippenham Hospital and Henrico Doctors' Hospital, our pediatric hospitalists are available around the clock to provide pediatric expertise, compassionate care and the best treatment plan for your child's health. Our services include:
- Management of chronic and acute problems, such as pneumonia, dehydration, etc.
- Consultation services for subspecialists
- Sedation services for procedures
- Continuity of care coordinated through the hospital
Learn more about our inpatient pediatric care.
At Henrico Doctors' Hospital, we're always ready to help you deliver your baby no matter what time of day. Should you go into labor overnight or on a weekend and your obstetrician is unavailable, you're in good hands with our OB hospitalists.